The modern obsession for newer and faster modes of transportation has raised the study of transportation to a science. There was a time when people travelled spent days and months travelling from one place to another. However, modern life with its speed and new found respect for time has no room for such leisure. People now have little patience for traffic jams resulting in rash driving and consequent accidents. This is where transportation analysis came to play a role. It is a study of the transport scenario of a specific place at a specific time. Depending on the kind of data one analyses, transportation analysis can be of various kinds. The two major types are:
- Transport policy analysis:
- It deals with the examination and assessment of the various public policy options that affect public transportation, construction of highways and associated infrastructures, aviation and monitoring of motor fuel economy.
- The analysts probe into the merits and demerits of viable alternatives and advise policy makers on the right course of action.
- On the other hand this kind of analysis is more concerned with the traffic scenario and the choice of modes of transport.
- The analysts here employ econometric and statistical tools to analyze and review transport data and form an informed opinion on the means of transport that would prove to be most efficient in a particular scenario.
- Graphical theory is also used to aid researchers in interpreting the data accumulated and draw their own conclusions about various transportation routes and methods.
- Transport data analysis:
However, no matter what kind of analysis it yields, the chief objective of a transportation analysis is to get a brief overview of the transportation scenario that would equip the concerned authorities with enough information to determine the safety and adequacy of transportation system of a certain area and would help in reducing traffic accidents or other transportation mishaps.